Advertisement

Funding millions on offer to shelter homeless

The State Government has invited organisations to apply for the first $6 million tranche of a $20 million fund to cut homelessness across South Australia.

 

May 12, 2020, updated May 19, 2020
Photo supplied

Photo supplied

Human Services Minister Michelle Lensink said expressions of interest for its Homelessness Prevention Fund were open to organisations capable of cutting homeless numbers across the state.

Lensink said the fund is part of the Marshall Government’s $550 million housing and homelessness strategy released late last year.

“Put simply, our new $550 million 10-year housing and homelessness strategy aims to help South Australians into homeownership, prevent people falling into homelessness and ensure public housing is available for our most vulnerable,” she said.

“As part of that, the $20 million Homelessness Prevention Fund aims to prevent people falling into homelessness in the first place.

“We’re asking organisations to put forward their expressions of interest so we can trial new approaches, with the aim of diverting people away from crisis homelessness services and into stable, safe and long-term housing.

InDaily in your inbox. The best local news every workday at lunch time.
By signing up, you agree to our User Agreement andPrivacy Policy & Cookie Statement. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Lensink said there had been no substantial reform to the sector for about 10 years and the fund was part of a shake-up.

“Currently, we have a homelessness system that is outdated, expensive and does not achieve real outcomes for South Australians who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, and people using the system have told us it’s not working for them,” she said.

“We’re spending millions of dollars every year on crisis accommodation – and this does not provide long-term solutions for people experiencing homelessness and that’s why reform in this area is critical.

“I urge organisations to put forward their ideas and apply for this tender. Together, with the sector and the community, we can work towards the collective aim of getting people off the streets for good and into safe and stable housing – and keep it.”

The tender, available at www.tenderssa.gov.au, closes on 11 June 2020.

Topics: homelessness
Local News Matters
Advertisement
Copyright © 2024 InDaily.
All rights reserved.