Police raid Nitschke’s clinic

Aug 01, 2014

South Australian police have raided voluntary euthanasia campaigner Philip Nitschke’s premises in Gilberton.

Witnesses told InDaily that six police cars pulled up at the Gilbert Street property just before 11am, and around 12 officers entered the building.

Nitschke began leasing the building last year, telling media at the time that he was setting up a clinic to advise people on various methods of voluntary euthanasia.

A SAPOL spokesperson confirmed to InDaily that officers were at the property “making inquiries”.

Earlier today, Dr Nitschke was accompanied by his lawyer Michael Woods when he was interviewed by SAPOL detectives investigating the death of terminally ill man Max Bromson, who took his own life in a Glenelg motel room on Monday. Bromson, a former businessman who ran for the Senate last year for the Voluntary Euthanasia Party, was suffering a rare and terminal form of bone cancer and died after taking drugs which had been tested at the Exit International laboratory in Adelaide.

Mr Woods told reporters no charges had been laid.

Dr Nitschke told AAP this afternoon that detectives took his phone at the interview and told him police were at the Gilberton property. They spent about three hours searching the premises before taking items including laptops.

“I feel pretty violated,” Dr Nitschke said.

Police confiscated laptops and mobile phones from the scene of Bromson’s death and said earlier this week that detectives were making “a full assessment of the facts” to determine whether any criminal offence had been committed.

InDaily in your inbox. The best local news every workday at lunch time.
By signing up, you agree to our User Agreement andPrivacy Policy & Cookie Statement. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Max Bromson’s sister, Kerry, said yesterday that her brother had been in “excruciating pain” leading up to his death.

The Medical Board of Australia last week suspended Dr Nitschke’s registration over an unrelated incident.

The decision followed the suicide of Perth man Nigel Brayley, 45, who died in May after communicating with Dr Nitschke.

In its ruling, the board said it believed he posed “a serious risk to the health and safety of the public”.

* Listeners seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or the Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467.

** Story updated 3.48pm.

– with AAP

Local News Matters
Copyright © 2024 InDaily.
All rights reserved.